Our separation and divorce experts will help you draft simple, uncontested divorces for a fixed fee. [For contested divorces or complicated files — see our *legal representation page*]
For our simple uncontested divorce service, our staff will assist you in the completion of your Alberta divorce forms and documents using the information you provide. A lawyer does not oversee your file, and The Divorce Company does not represent you. We will file the divorce forms and documents on your behalf, and you will not need to attend court.
To use this simple, uncontested fixed fee service, the following must be true:
- You and or your former spouse have lived in Alberta for the last year.
- You have already divided your assets and debts between you in a way that does not require any additional work or description. We may still be able to assist you, however there will be an additional fee.
- If there are children:
- Child support is being paid according to the Federal Child Support Guidelines.
- You have agreed on parenting arrangements and decision-making responsibilities.
- You either:
- Have been living separate and apart from your spouse for at least one year (maybe you were separated while you were living in the same home), OR
- Have not yet been separated for one full year, but want to initiate the Alberta divorce with the Court of King’s Bench now, so that the rest of the divorce process will be much faster, OR
- If the marriage broke down because of adultery or cruelty, the person who was cruel or committed adultery is willing to sign a document indicating that they agree they did these things.
Many people need additional documents drafted, such as separation agreements, title transfers, dower releases, registration of spousal support payments with the Canada Revenue Agency, request for reduction of tax with your employer, Canada Pension Plan credit splitting, and a will. Many people don’t know about the mandatory registration of marital status changes required by the Canada Revenue Agency. In the application, you can check off other documents that you may be interested in having assistance with drafting.
There are two types of divorce documents depending on your circumstances.
Which suits your circumstances?