We draft simple, uncontested divorces for a fixed fee. [For contested divorces or complicated files — see our *legal representation page*]
For our simple uncontested divorce service, our staff will assist you in the completion of your divorce documents using the information you provide. With this service, to keep your costs as low as possible: we do not provide legal advice; a lawyer does not oversee your file; and The Divorce Company does not represent you. We will file the documents on your behalf and you will not need to attend court.
To use this simple uncontested fixed fee service, the following must be true: [however, if your situation is not simple or is not uncontested, then see our *legal representation page*]
- You or your former spouse have lived in Alberta for the last year.
- You have already divided your assets and debts between you in a way that does not require any additional work or description.
- If there are children:
- Child support is being paid according to the Federal Child Support Guidelines.
- You agree on parenting arrangements and decision making responsibilities.
- You either:
- Have been living separate and apart from your spouse for at least one year (maybe you were separated while you were living in the same home), OR
- Have not yet been separated for one full year, but want to file the initial documents now so that the rest of the divorce process will be much faster, OR
- If the marriage broke down because of adultery or cruelty, the person who was cruel or committed adultery is willing to sign a document indicating that agree they did these things.
Many people need additional documents drafted such as such as separation agreements, title transfer, dower release, registration of spousal support payments with Canada Revenue Agency, request for reduction of tax with your employer, Canada Pension Plan credit splitting, a will. Many people don’t know about the mandatory registration of marital status change required by Canada Revenue Agency. In the application, you can check off other documents that you may be interested in having assistance with drafting.
There are two types of divorce documents depending on your circumstances.
Which suits your circumstances?